You should create drivers in QTRACS and modify them in Hours of Service. If you are not using the Entity Management Bridge, you must create drivers in QTRACS, then again in HOS, with all data exactly matching. Be aware that drivers may be deleted from QTRACS, but cannot be deleted from HOS because eRODS and logs must be retained for six months. If the driver has no duty status activity after six months, the driver and all associated driving records are removed automatically.
- Depot / Driver lists
- The selected depot specifies the list of drivers you can view or edit in the Driver drop-down list. Select the depot and New Driver to add a driver to the selected depot. A depot is the home base for associated drivers and defines a driver's time zone and the HOS logs start of day.
- Begin typing a driver or depot, and the search field fills with matching items.
- Driver ID / Password
- The driver login ID and password. The driver ID must match the ID assigned to this driver in the QTRACS application. If Hours of Service is integrated with your dispatch system, the driver ID must match the dispatch system exactly. Drivers use these values to log into the mobile unit, so make them simple, but not easy for another driver to guess.
Note: In the QTRACS application, the corresponding driver ID field holds a maximum of 10 characters and the password field holds a maximum of 8 characters. Although the HOS driver ID and password fields can contain up to 20 alphanumeric characters, you must enter a driver ID and password that do not exceed the maximums allowed in the QTRACS driver ID and password fields. You must have a minimum of 4 characters.
- Enabled for Canadian Rules
- This field displays only if your company has contracted to use Canadian rules. By default, any new driver created while your company is enabled for Canadian rules will be set as Yes, using Canadian rules.
- Duty cycle / Current rule set
- Select the US and Canada duty cycle duration and the current rule set to assign to the driver. The Canada duty cycle options appear only if your fleet operates in Canada. If you are unable to adjust these settings, contact your customer experience representative.
- Allow Rest Break Exemption
- Select to allow this driver to be exempt from the 30 minute rest break. This must be manually turned off when this driver is no longer hauling an exempt load.
- Allow Personal Conveyance
- Select Yes if the driver is permitted to use the company vehicle for personal conveyance, such as driving home from the depot. If you select No, the off-duty driving status is not available to the driver on the mobile unit. If a driver is using an AOBRD, this is recorded as off-duty driving.
- Allow Yard Move
- Select Yes to allow this driver to record yard moves in vehicles equipped with ELDs. Be aware that for the driver to select yard move, the following criteria must be met:
- The driver must be active
- The unit must be on USA rules
- The ignition must be on
- Allow 24-Hour Weekly Reset
Select Yes if the driver is allowed to use the 24-hour weekly reset option. You see the setting only if the driver's current rule set is USA or TX (Texas Intrastate). If enabled, this driver's 7 or 8 duty status duration (depending on the US duty cycle) ends at the start of an off-duty segment of 24 or more hours.
This driver setting appears if the 24 hour weekly reset check box on the HOS Setup tab is checked.
- Allow Well Site Wait Time
Select Yes to allow the driver to record wait time at a natural gas or oil well site (Off-Duty status or Sleeper-Berth status) so that the wait time does not count against his/her daily 14 hour on-duty limit. You see the setting only if the driver's current rule set is USA or TX. If enabled, this driver can mark the wait time as "At Well Site" on the mobile unit.
This driver setting appears if the Well site wait time check box on the HOS Setup tab is checked.
- Allow Hazmat Loads
- Select Yes to allow drivers to take rest breaks while in on-duty status. Enable this setting for drivers who are required to remain with the vehicle at all times because of the material they are hauling. If enabled, this driver can mark on-duty time as a rest break on the mobile unit.
This driver setting appears if the Hazmat Loads check box on the HOS Setup tab is checked.Note: The regulations only allow carriers of certain classes of explosives to use the on-duty rest break option. Regulation 397.5 states:
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, a motor vehicle which contains a Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 (explosive) material must be attended at all times by its driver or a qualified representative of the motor carrier that operates it.
Only use the Hazmat Loads option for drivers hauling this material. Any other use of the Hazmat Loads exception is not allowed under the regulations.
- First name / Last name
- The driver's first and last name. Each name must be at least two characters long. The driver uses the last name to log into the Hours of Service (Driver) web site along with their driver ID and password.
- License Number
- This is the driver's CDL number.
- License Issued By
- This is the issuing state or province for the driver's CDL. Select a country; then select the state or province.
- US ELD Exempt
- Select to identify this driver as being exempt from the US ELD mandate reporting requirements.
- Assign/change depot
- To assign a different depot from the one at the top of the page, select it from the drop-down list.
- Assign/change Carrier
- To assign a different carrier, select it from the drop-down list. After you assign a carrier to a driver, you cannot change the driver record back to No Carrier.
If a driver is logged into a vehicle when you add or change the carrier, the carrier information is sent to the mobile immediately. If the driver is not logged in, carrier information is sent to the mobile the next time the driver logs in. New carriers are created on the Carrier tab.
- The groups that the driver is a member of are selected in the list of groups that displays. To add or remove a selected group, use Ctrl+click to select or deselect the group and save the record.