Set Up Vehicles
Vehicles are a representation of the Omnitracs mobile units you install in your vehicles. Mobile units are assigned to your account as you purchase them and are created as vehicles in QTRACS the first time they are powered on.
Before beginning you will need a list of all mobile units in your fleet including the serial number of the mobile unit and which vehicle it is installed in. You can ask your installers to track and report this information using the Installation Form found in appendix H of the Omnitracs Intelligent Vehicle Gateway (IVG) Installation and Troubleshooting Guide or you can instruct your installers to include the vehicle id, VIN, and license plate in a message sent from the mobile unit as part of the system verification process to confirm a successful installation. If your installers include the information in a message sent from the unit, you will need to log into QTRACS first and view your messages to collect the information. When collecting the information make note of the vehicle ID the message was sent from, which will be the serial number (UA) of the mobile unit. Refer your installers to chapter 7 of the installation guide for more information about system verification.
Once you have gathered the information and are ready to begin, you will use the bulk import tool and entity maintenance bridge (EMB) to configure your vehicles in QTRACS and Hours of Service (HOS). HOS configuration has additional steps that will be covered when you reach the HOS setup section.
Note: If you are licensed for Hours of Service (HOS) the entity maintenance bridge (EMB) is enabled by default for your company and will attempt to automatically update your vehicles in HOS based on the changes you make in QTRACS. You will be notified via an Alert in your notifier if the EMB fails to create the drivers in HOS.
- In the QTRACS application, click the Vehicles tab.
- Click Bulk Import.
- Read the information on the overview tab to understand the process then click Sample.
- Choose whether you want to download a basic or advanced spreadsheet. The attributes included are shown on the screen and update dynamically as you switch between the two options. Review the included attributes and select the set that works best for your needs.
- Ensure the option to download a few rows of sample date is selected.
- Click Generate Sample. It typically takes a minute or less for the spreadsheet to be generated. A yellow asterisk appears next to Reports in the banner when the spreadsheet is ready to be downloaded.
- In the banner, click Reports then click the CSV icon to download the sample spreadsheet.
- Fill out the spreadsheet following the sample data to fill in the information for your vehicles then save the spreadsheet to your computer.
- For units that have already been installed in vehicles and powered on Vehicle ID will be the serial number of the mobile unit by default. Enter U as the action and enter the vehicle ID of the truck the unit is installed in as the New Vehicle ID.
- If the units have not been installed yet, you can enter C as the action but Omnitracs recommends installing units first to ensure the units gets properly paired with the vehicle ID you assign to it.
- Name is an alias for the vehicle and is optional.
- VIN, License Plate Number, and License Plate Jurisdiction are required for ELD.
- Coverage is a required field. If you set up your default vehicle settings before installing the units, the coverage will be set to your default vehicle settings. Adjust the coverage as needed based on the coverages you planned previously.
- Assign the vehicle to vehicle message groups as needed.
- You can ignore HOS Depot ID and HOS Groups for now. You will configure those settings later when you reach the HOS setup section.
- Click Import
- Click Choose File and navigate to where you saved the spreadsheet on your computer and select it then click Submit.
- Click Results and verify the vehicles were updated successfully. If not, click the hyperlinked error number to view the errors, make the corrections to your spreadsheet, and redo steps 9 and 10.