What is KYU Weight Distance Tax (KYU)?
Any Carrier travelling on Kentucky roadways with a combined license weight greater than 59,999 pounds is required to register for a KYU account and register the vehicle with KYU prior to travelling on Kentucky road ways.
You are also able to purchase a one-time temporary KYU Permit per truck in the event you are not making regular trips through the state of Kentucky.
The KYU number is a tax license issued for the Kentucky Weight Distance Tax. Any motor carrier 59,999 pounds or greater traveling Kentucky is subject to this tax. The tax rate is $0.0285 cents per mile.
How to Apply for Kentucky Weight Distance (KYU) License
- KYU Numbers are issued immediately upon completion of the ONLINE KYU Application
- For assistance, view our KYU Registration Guide
- If you are having technical issues processing an Online Application, you can print and mail in a completed Kentucky Trucking Application Form.
Warning: The paper application can take 10-14 business days to process, and you will only receive a KYU number after processing. Incomplete applications will be returned.
Kentucky Weight Distance (KYU) Electronic Filing
- You can process your KYU tax return online, allowing you to print a copy for your records. You are not required to mail a completed tax form.
- You must have a registered KYU account to file taxes electronically.
- Payments can be made electronically with credit card or check.
Note: If carriers need to amend taxes for KYU they will need to contact the Division of Motor Carriers to do so.
Important notice for those using Tax Manager to file the Kentucky Weight Distance Tax:
- Omnitracs Tax Manager requires the vehicle(s) to be assigned to the tax account to be included in the KY HUT Filing and have mileage driven in the state for the tax period.
- Tax Manager uses the Registered Laden Gross Vehicle Weight from the vehicle settings entered to look to determine if the vehicle is subject to the Kentucky Weight Distance Tax.