Omnitracs Installer is an easy way to manage Omnitracs applications that are used on mobile devices within your organization. Available from the Application Download page in Omnitracs Web, use Omnitracs Installer to download, install, and update other applications on your mobile devices. Once it is installed, all the applications that are available for you to install on your mobile device show in a list in the installer application. One or more of these applications will display in the list:
- Omnitracs Installer
- Omnitracs Navigation
- Omnitracs Drive
- Omnitracs Document Scanning
- Omnitracs XRS
- Roadnet Mobile (RDC only)
- CoPilot for Drive
Notes: Depending on your settings, you may not see all the applications listed.
You may be required to connect your mobile device to the internet before you can download installation files or updates.
You must have a file manager application installed on the mobile device and a USB cable that connects the device to your computer, if you manually copy the installer file to the mobile device.
The mobile device must be added to Roadnet Anywhere and have a Mobile ID, which will be used during the initial setup of Omnitracs Installer on the mobile device.
To download Omnitracs Navigation, the mobile device must have Omnitracs Navigation enabled on the Applications tab in Maintenance > Mobile Devices.
To download CoPilot for Drive, the mobile device must have CoPilot enabled on the Applications tab in Maintenance > Mobile Devices.
When you open Omnitracs Drive for the first time, when prompted, you must enter the mobile device’s Device ID. The Device ID for Omnitracs Drive is the Mobile ID that was entered when installing Omnitracs Installer.
When installing an Omnitracs application on your mobile device, you may need to grant specific permissions to the application. So that the application functions at its peak, always grant the following:
- access to photo and media
- access to current and future content in the Document folder
- allow the application to appear on top of other applications
- access to your device's location
- access to background location
- access to physical activity
Loading Omnitracs Installer on the Mobile Device
To set up Omnitracs Installer on a mobile device, you must first download the installer to your computer or mobile device.
To download Omnitracs Installer directly to a mobile device, use the Send Application button on the Mobile Devices page in the Maintenance module.
Note: If you use Roadnet Mobile, Omnitracs Installer cannot be loaded to the mobile device using the Send Application button.
- In Omnitracs Web, click Maintenance.
- Click the green button and scroll to Mobile Devices. A list of your mobile devices displays.
- Click the Send Applications button.
- On the Send Application to Mobile Devices screen, check the devices you want to load Omnitracs Installer on and click the [Send] button.
On the mobile device, the worker receives a text message that includes a link for the worker to tap to download the application. The worker must then install Omnitracs Installer on the mobile device.
To manually copy Omnitracs Installer to a mobile device, use the Applications Download page to download the installation file. A file manger application must be installed on the mobile device to copy the installation file from a computer to the mobile device.
- In Omnitracs Web, click Administration.
- Click the green button and scroll to Application Downloads. The applications that are available for download display.
- Click the Download button next to Omnitracs Installer. The MobileInstaller-xxx-release.apk file, where xxx is the version of the file, is saved to your computer in the default download folder.
After the installer file is downloaded to your hard drive you will need to copy it to the mobile device.
- Open an explorer window and navigate to the default download folder where the MobileInstaller-xxx-release.apk file was saved.
- Right-click on the file and choose Copy.
- Connect the mobile device to your computer using a usb cable. The mobile device’s explorer window should open automatically. If it does not, open an explorer window and find the mobile device in the list on the left.
- On the mobile device, open the file manager application.
- On the mobile device, navigate to the Download folder.
- Right-click and choose Paste. The MobileInstaller-xxx-release.apk file is copied to the Download folder on the mobile device.
Note: You can also drag and drop the file to copy it to the mobile device.
- Tap the MobileInstaller-xxx-release.apk file. The Omnitracs Installer installation screen displays.
On the mobile device, complete the installation of Omnitracs Installer on the mobile device.
Installing Omnitracs Installer on the Mobile Device
Once the installer file is downloaded or copied to the mobile device, you must install Omnitracs Installer.
- Click Install.
- When the installation is complete, tap Done.
- If the Install unknown app screen displays, turn on Allow from this source, and then Tap Install Unknown apps at the top of the page to return to Omnitracs Installer.
- Enter the Identifier for the mobile device. The Identifier is the Mobile ID assigned when adding the mobile device to Omnitracs.
- Tap Save. Omnitracs Installer opens displaying a list of all the applications available to install on the mobile device.
Installing Applications Using Omnitracs Installer
When Omnitracs Installer opens on the mobile device, a list of applications that will be installed displays.
Note: The most current version of each application is downloaded. Although it is not recommended, previous versions of applications can be installed if necessary. Contact Customer Support for more information.
- To install the applications, simply tap the Install button.
Notes: You may be prompted to close any open Omnitracs applications. Tap Continue.
Applications in the list are downloaded and installed one at a time, from the top of the list to the bottom.
- After the first application download is completed, the installation screen displays. Tap Install to install the application. Once an application is installed successfully, it is updated in the list.
Note: If the application requires permissions on the mobile device, they display on the installation screen. Tapping Install gives the application the permissions that are listed.
- Omnitracs Installer will continue to download and install all the applications in the list.
Updating Applications Using Omnitracs Installer
When there is an update available for an application installed on the mobile device, the Install button displays and Omnitracs Installer marks the appropriate application with Update Available.
- Tap the Install button.
Note: You may be prompted to close any open Omnitracs applications. Tap Continue.
- When the installation screen displays, tap Install.
- Once the application is successfully installed, Omnitracs Installer continues down the list to update any other applications with an available update.
Reinstalling an Application that Fails to Install
If you have a problem installing an application, Omnitracs Installer shows the status for the application as Installation Failed. You can reinstall a single application or all the applications in Omnitracs Installer.
To reinstall a single application, do the following.
- Press and hold the application name.
- Choose Reinstall from the Actions menu that displays. The application will be removed and then automatically reinstalled.
To reinstall all the applications in Omnitracs Installer, do the following.